Thursday 22 December 2016

Happy Birthday My Dearest Mother!

Dear Mama,

I apologize for having been AWOL. I haven't had much chance to sit down and pen down a proper letter to you. There are two reasons for this. First, I have been trying to work on my blog, 'The Whimsical Gallivanter'; secondly, I didn't know what to say to you since everything has been at a standstill for the past three four months.. 

It was your birthday yesterday.. I celebrated it to my heart's content.. I put up an Instagram dedication.. I went out and had cake.. I prayed for you.. In other words.. I did everything that I would have done if you were here.. 

People ask me.. "What's the point?" I tell them: Doing so makes me feel like you're still here.. I know its childish on my behalf.. But celebrating your birthday is special for me.. After all, why shouldn't I commemorate the day my most precious thing was sent down to Earth? 

I know you're probably scolding me for entertaining these idiosyncrasies.. But Mama, making the most of these small things is what I have left today.. 

Nearly ten years ago, I was left bereaved of my shelter.. I wish I could warn people to not take their parents for granted.. I wish I could turn back time to my rebellious teenage years where I felt you were being unfair by not buying me a cellphone.. ignoring how you would sacrifice your desires to ensure I had the best of everything.. I wish I could turn back time and slap my younger naive self.. or undo my unfortunate actions and decisions that have given me nothing but deep regrets.. Alas.. 

I can't move on from the past.. and I can't change any of it.. But I can try to be thankful for everything I had once.. be thankful for what I have today.. Hence, THANK YOU dear Allah, for bestowing upon me the BEST mother one could have asked for.. If it weren't for you Mama, I would not have been the person I am today.. Not only did you pass on your abysmal maternal instincts to me.. You taught me by example to be compassionate, kind, generous, thankful, loving and empathetic.. Your upbringing (comprising of a good deal of reprimanding and dare I say, chittars) taught me to be polite and respectful.. Your belief and pride in me taught me to never give up.. You gave me wings so I could fly high and reach out to the sky (as cliched as that is)!

Happy Birthday Mama! May Allah bless you with the highest rank in Jannat and may He allow you to make a cozy home in His humble abode!  Ya Allah, please let my Mama be content and peaceful! 

I pray that one day, I'll get to see your smiling face again.. In fact, what wouldn't I give to have you scold me once again? (even though I try to not do anything that would require you to do so)



Keep sending me some positive vibes and love from Jannat, Mama! I love and miss you immensely!

Trying to make you proud always,

Love, M!

p.s. whoever reads this.. please go hug your parents right now? 

1 comment: